Summary Of Qualifications
I am a software developer, educator, published author, and technical editor with a passion for helping others improve. In addition to building software as an independent consultant, I participate in open-source development, teach free online courses, and mentor developers to help them get better at what they do.
Technical Editor, DigitalOcean LLC – 2016-Present
- Review, test, revise, and publish articles from open-source software experts on the DigitalOcean community website, driving awareness and adoption of DigitalOcean's product offerings.
- Create and manage virtual servers running FreeBSD, Ubuntu, CentOS, and CoreOS using Docker, Vagrant, Bash, and the DigitalOcean API.
- Review, accept, and reject writing samples and topic ideas from authors
- Work with authors to improve their writing skills
- Develop templates for community articles
- Facilitate discussions with internal teams on house style
Development Editor, The Pragmatic Bookshelf — 2010-Present
- Edited over 12 books so far, including Pragmatic Guide to Sass 3, Deploying With JRuby 9k, Fire In The Valley, 3rd Edition, The Healthy Programmer, Programming Groovy 2, The Developer’s Code, and Learn To Program With Minecraft Plugins.
- Coached authors in technical writing, structure, voice, and house style, ensuring books stay focused and on track.
Owner, New Auburn Personal Computer Services LLC — 1995-present
- Developed web sites and applications for several local and national businesses including Rock ’n’ Roll To Go Inc, Scheppke Real Estate, Chippewa Valley Airport Service, and Karaoke For A Cure.
- Performed accessibility audits for clients including The Pragmatic Programmers and Yahara Software, ensuring compliance with federal laws and WCAG guidelines.
- Created and delivered on-site and remote training courses on Ruby on Rails, HTML5, and accessibility.
Instructor, Software Development, Chippewa Valley Technical College — 2012-2016
- Designed performance-based curriculum for entry-level web development, operating systems, programming fundamentals, and agile software development concepts.
- Delivered successful hybrid and online courses for seven semesters to a diverse student population using demonstrations, lecture, discussions, video tutorials, written materials, practice sessions, and online supplemental instruction.
- Received nominations from students for teaching excellence in 2012, 2014, and 2015.
- Consistently scored high on student evaluations in all areas.
- Facilitated well-received inservice sessions focused on teaching methods in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Web Application Development Specialist, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire — 2001-2012
- Designed, developed, and maintained web applications using Ruby on Rails, PHP, Classic ASP, MySQL, and SQL Server using agile methodologies and test-driven development.
- Developed robust systems to manage student registration for programs, service learning, parking lottery, and an emergency alert system using SMS messaging.
- Supervised and mentored student interns, guiding them on best practices in software development and testing.
- Codecaster http://codecaster.io
- Amelius http://amelius.napcs.com
- Rendera http://rendera.org
- RailsMentors http://www.railsmentors.org/
- Open-source projects: https://github.com/napcs
- Exercises For Programmers – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2015
- Web Development Recipes, 2nd Edition – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2015
- Automate With Grunt – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2014
- HTML5 and CSS3, 2nd Edition, The Pragmatic Bookshelf — 2013
- tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development, The Pragmatic Bookshelf — 2012
- Databases: MySQL, SQLite, Postgres.
- Software: Vim, tmux, Microsoft Office, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Git, Apache, Nginx, ScreenFlow, Parallels, VirtualBox, Vagrant.
- Operating Systems: Mac OSX, Microsoft Windows, Linux (Ubuntu/Debian.)
- Other: Automated testing, automated deployment, technical writing, public speaking, project management, responsive design, web usability and accessibility.
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI — BBA (Information Systems), 2001
- Jolt Award Finalist – Automate With Grunt — 2014
- Best Presentation In Track – Technical – HighEdWebDev — October 2006
- Best Overall Presentation (audience selected) – Chippewa Valley Code Camp — November 2011