I am a software developer, educator, published author, and technical editor with a passion for helping others improve. I am a technical editor for DigitalOcean, a cloud infrastructure provider, where I develop materials to educate software developers and system administrators. In addition, I build software as an independent consultant, I participate in open-source development, teach online courses, and mentor developers to help them get better at what they do.
Senior Technical Editor â 2018-present
Technical Editor â 2016-2018
- Reviewed, tested, revised, and published articles from open-source software experts on the DigitalOcean community website through the Write for DOnations program, driving awareness and adoption of DigitalOcean's product offerings and contributing to revenue.
- Coached authors to become better writers, and maintained partnerships with repeat authors to produce quality content readers trust.
- Reviewed writing samples and topic ideas from prospective authors, and worked with industry experts to identify new content opportunities.
- Increased quality of submissions by developing a success rubric and working with authors to develop outlines to solidify the topics covered.
- Created automated workflows to manage virtual servers running Ubuntu, Debian 8, CentOS 7, and CoreOS using Docker, Terraform, Vagrant, Ansible, and the DigitalOcean API.
- Facilitated discussions with internal teams and mentored other editors on house style, new features, and department strategy.
- Developed hiring criteria and onboarding plans for new team members.
The Pragmatic Bookshelf
Developmental Editor â 2010-Present
- Edited over 12 books so far, including Pragmatic Guide to Sass 3, Deploying With JRuby 9k, Fire In The Valley, 3rd Edition, The Healthy Programmer, Programming Groovy 2, The Developerâs Code, and Learn To Program With Minecraft Plugins.
- Coached authors in technical writing, structure, voice, and house style, ensuring books stay focused and on track.
- Provided software development support for the proprietary book toolchain.
New Auburn Personal Computer Services LLC
Owner â 1995-present
- Developed codecaster.io, a platform to help students get the most out of their software development classroom experience.
- Developed Amelius, a platform to help instructors create and share aligned course curriculum.
- Developed web sites and applications for several local and national businesses.
- Performed accessibility audits for clients including The Pragmatic Programmers and Yahara Software, ensuring compliance with federal laws and WCAG guidelines.
- Created and delivered on-site and remote training courses on Ruby on Rails, HTML5, and accessibility.
Chippewa Valley Technical College
Software Development Instructor â 2012-2016
- Designed performance-based curriculum for courses in entry-level web development, operating systems, programming fundamentals, and agile software development concepts.
- Delivered successful hybrid and online courses for eight semesters to a diverse student population using demonstrations, lecture, discussions, video tutorials, written materials, practice sessions, and online supplemental instruction.
- Received nominations from students for teaching excellence awards in 2012, 2014, and 2015.
- Consistently scored high on student evaluations in all areas.
- Facilitated well-received inservice sessions focused on teaching methods in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Web Application Development Specialist, â 2008-2012
Senior Web Developer, 2003 to 2008
Web Application Developer â 2001 to 2003
- Designed, developed, and maintained web applications using Ruby on Rails, PHP, Classic ASP, MySQL, and SQL Server using agile methodologies and test-driven development.
- Developed robust systems to manage student registration for programs, service learning, parking lottery, and an emergency alert system using SMS messaging.
- Supervised and mentored student interns, guiding them on best practices in software development and testing.
- Codecaster http://codecaster.io
- Amelius http://amelius.napcs.com
- Rendera http://rendera.org
- RailsMentors http://www.railsmentors.org/
- Open-source projects: https://github.com/napcs
- tmux 2: Productive Mouse-Free Development – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2017
- Exercises For Programmers – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2015
- Web Development Recipes, 2nd Edition – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2015
- Automate With Grunt – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2014
- HTML5 and CSS3, 2nd Edition, The Pragmatic Bookshelf â 2013
- tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development, The Pragmatic Bookshelf â 2012
- Databases: MySQL, SQLite, Postgres, Redis
- Software: Vim, tmux, Git, Apache, Nginx, ScreenFlow, Parallels, VirtualBox, Vagrant. Terraform, Ansible, Docker
- Operating Systems: MacOS, Microsoft Windows, Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS), iOS
- Other: Automated testing, automated deployment, technical writing, public speaking, project management, responsive design, web usability and accessibility.
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI
- BBA (Information Systems), 2001
WTCS Certification courses
- WTCS Course 50 – Course Construction
- WTCS Course 51 – History of the WTCS
- WTCS Course 52 – Teaching Methods
- WTCS Course 53 – Educational Psychology / Behavioral Methods
- WTCS Course 69 – Diversity in Education
- Jolt Award Finalist – Automate With Grunt â 2014
- Best Overall Presentation (audience selected) – Chippewa Valley Code Camp â November 2011
- Best Presentation In Track – Technical – HighEdWebDev â October 2006