Brian P. Hogan
I am a software developer, educator, published author, and leader with a passion for helping others improve. I build educational software and content, participate in open-source development, teach online courses, and mentor developers to help them get better at what they do.
Editorial Manager — September 2018-Present
- Developed, documented, and refined processes for article publication, sample evaluation, and editorial workflow process.
- Worked with other managers and functional leaders to develop content strategy for two new content verticals, aligned with product and company strategy.
- Created onboarding plans for three new employees and brought them up to speed in 90 days through mentoring, frequent one-on-one checkins, and direct feedback.
- Coached direct reports through professional development plans with successful re-leveling.
- Received consistent positive feedback from direct reports and managers.
- Led cross-functional teams through short high-impact projects.
Senior Technical Editor — July 2018-September 2019
Technical Editor — June 2016-Julay 2018
- Reviewed, tested, revised, and published articles from open-source software experts on the DigitalOcean community website through the Write for DOnations program, driving awareness and adoption of DigitalOcean’s product offerings and contributing to revenue.
- Reviewed writing samples and topic ideas from prospective authors, and worked with industry experts to identify new content opportunities.
- Created automated workflows to manage virtual servers running Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS, and FreeBSD using Docker, Terraform, Vagrant, Ansible, and the DigitalOcean API.
- Increased quality of submissions by developing a success rubric and working with authors to develop outlines to solidify the topics covered.
- Facilitated discussions with internal teams and mentored other editors on house style, new features, and department strategy.
The Pragmatic Bookshelf
Developmental Editor — 2010-Present
- Edited over 17 books including The Ray Tracer Challenge, React for Real, Fire In The Valley, 3rd Edition, and The Healthy Programmer.
- Coached authors in technical writing, structure, voice, and house style, ensuring books stay focused and on track.
- Provided software development support for the proprietary book toolchain.
New Auburn Personal Computer Services LLC
Owner — 1995-present
- Developed education software using Elixir and Ruby on Rails, including codecaster.io, a platform to help students get the most out of their software development classroom experience, and Amelius, a platform to help instructors create and share aligned course curriculum.
- Developed web sites and applications for local and national businesses.
- Performed accessibility audits for clients, ensuring compliance with Section 508 and WCAG guidelines.
- Created and delivered on-site and remote training courses on Ruby on Rails, HTML5, and accessibility.
Chippewa Valley Technical College
Software Development Instructor — 2012-2016
- Designed and delivered performance-based curriculum for courses in entry-level web development, operating systems, programming fundamentals, and agile software development concepts for eight semesters to a diverse student population using demonstrations, lecture, discussions, video tutorials, written materials, practice sessions, and online supplemental instruction.
- Received nominations from students for teaching excellence awards in 2012, 2014, and 2015, and consistently scored high on student evaluations in all areas.
- Facilitated well-received inservice sessions focused on teaching methods in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
Web Application Development Specialist, — 2008-2012
Senior Web Developer, 2003 to 2008
Web Application Developer – 2001 to 2003
- Used PHP, Ruby on Rails, SQL Server, and MySQL to build robust systems to manage student registration for programs, service learning, parking services, and an emergency alert system using SMS messaging.
- Supervised and mentored student interns, guiding them on best practices in software development and testing.
- Codecaster http://codecaster.io
- Amelius http://amelius.napcs.com
- Rendera http://rendera.org
- Open-source projects: https://github.com/napcs
- Build Websites with Hugo - The Pragmatic Bookshelf - 2020
- Small, Sharp Software Tools - The Pragmatic Bookshelf - 2019
- tmux 2: Productive Mouse-Free Development - The Pragmatic Bookshelf - 2017
- Exercises For Programmers - The Pragmatic Bookshelf - 2015
- Frameworks: Ruby on Rails, Phoenix
- Databases: MySQL, SQLite, Postgres, Redis
- Software: Vim, tmux, Git, Hugo, Apache, Nginx, VirtualBox, Vagrant. Terraform, Ansible, Docker, JIRA, Confluence, Google Docs, Looker, Screenflow, Ableton Live, Adobe PhotoShop.
- Operating Systems: MacOS, Microsoft Windows, Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS), iOS
- Other: Automated testing, automated deployment, technical writing, public speaking, project management, people management, mentoring, coaching, responsive design, web usability and accessibility.
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI
- BBA (Information Systems), 2001
Wisconsin Technical College System Teaching Certification courses
- WTCS Course 50 - Course Construction
- WTCS Course 51 - History of the WTCS
- WTCS Course 52 - Teaching Methods
- WTCS Course 53 - Educational Psychology / Behavioral Methods
- WTCS Course 69 - Diversity in Education