Technical Editor, DigitalOcean LLC – 2016-Present
- Reviewed, tested, revised, and published articles from open-source software experts on the DigitalOcean community website, driving awareness and adoption of DigitalOcean's product offerings, and contributing to revenue.
- Fostered partnerships with other companies to produce shared content.
- Increased quality of articles submitted by requiring outlines from authors to solidify the topics covered.
- Reviewed writing samples and topic ideas from authors, and worked with industry experts to create new content.
- Created automated workflows to manage virtual servers running Ubuntu, Debian 8, CentOS 7, and CoreOS using Docker, Vagrant, Bash, Ansible, and the DigitalOcean API.
- Worked with authors to improve their writing skills.
- Developed templates for authors to use for new community articles.
- Facilitated discussions with internal teams on house style, new features, and department strategy.
Development Editor, The Pragmatic Bookshelf — 2010-Present
- Edited over 12 books so far, including Pragmatic Guide to Sass 3, Deploying With JRuby 9k, Fire In The Valley, 3rd Edition, The Healthy Programmer, Programming Groovy 2, The Developer’s Code, and Learn To Program With Minecraft Plugins.
- Coached authors in technical writing, structure, voice, and house style, ensuring books stay focused and on track.
- Provided software development support for the proprietary book toolchain.
Owner, New Auburn Personal Computer Services LLC — 1995-present
- Developed codecaster.io, a platform to help students get the most out of their software development classroom experience.
- Developed Amelius, a platform to help instructors create and share aligned course curriculum.
- Developed web sites and applications for several local and national businesses including Rock ’n’ Roll To Go Inc, Scheppke Real Estate, Chippewa Valley Airport Service, and Karaoke For A Cure.
- Performed accessibility audits for clients including The Pragmatic Programmers and Yahara Software, ensuring compliance with federal laws and WCAG guidelines.
- Created and delivered on-site and remote training courses on Ruby on Rails, HTML5, and accessibility.
Instructor, Software Development, Chippewa Valley Technical College — 2012-2016
- Designed performance-based curriculum for courses in entry-level web development, operating systems, programming fundamentals, and agile software development concepts.
- Delivered successful hybrid and online courses for eight semesters to a diverse student population using demonstrations, lecture, discussions, video tutorials, written materials, practice sessions, and online supplemental instruction.
- Received nominations from students for teaching excellence awards in 2012, 2014, and 2015.
- Consistently scored high on student evaluations in all areas.
- Facilitated well-received inservice sessions focused on teaching methods in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015.
Web Application Development Specialist, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire — 2001-2012
- Designed, developed, and maintained web applications using Ruby on Rails, PHP, Classic ASP, MySQL, and SQL Server using agile methodologies and test-driven development.
- Developed robust systems to manage student registration for programs, service learning, parking lottery, and an emergency alert system using SMS messaging.
- Supervised and mentored student interns, guiding them on best practices in software development and testing.
- Codecaster http://codecaster.io
- Amelius http://amelius.napcs.com
- Rendera http://rendera.org
- RailsMentors http://www.railsmentors.org/
- Open-source projects: https://github.com/napcs
- tmux 2: Productive Mouse-Free Development – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2015
- Exercises For Programmers – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2015
- Web Development Recipes, 2nd Edition – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2015
- Automate With Grunt – The Pragmatic Bookshelf – 2014
- HTML5 and CSS3, 2nd Edition, The Pragmatic Bookshelf — 2013
- tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development, The Pragmatic Bookshelf — 2012
- Databases: MySQL, SQLite, Postgres, Redis
- Software: Vim, tmux, Microsoft Office, Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Git, Apache, Nginx, ScreenFlow, Parallels, VirtualBox, Vagrant. Terraform, Ansible
- Operating Systems: MacOS, Microsoft Windows, Linux (Ubuntu/Debian/CentOS), iOS
- Other: Automated testing, automated deployment, technical writing, public speaking, project management, responsive design, web usability and accessibility.
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Eau Claire, WI — BBA (Information Systems), 2001
WTCS Certification courses
- Course 50 – Course Construction
- Course 51 – History of the WTCS
- Course 52 – Teachning Methods
- Course 53 – Educational Psych
- Course 69 – Diversity
- Jolt Award Finalist – Automate With Grunt — 2014
- Best Overall Presentation (audience selected) – Chippewa Valley Code Camp — November 2011
- Best Presentation In Track – Technical – HighEdWebDev — October 2006